Wrapping Up July

ChronicleHE, Cricket, WSJ

The month of July is nearing an end, and I’ve a few projects to post from the past few weeks. The historical illustrations above and below (and the accompanying map) were all for a story in an upcoming issue of Cricket magazine. The scratchboard style seems to net me a lot of these ‘historical accuracy’ type assignments, which I can understand, as it has a certain ‘antique’ feel to it. This project was a bit tricky, because, while the client provided lots of reference material, there was also a lot of stumbling around in the dark with regards to accurate depictions of this or that costume or prop.

This latest ‘aches & claims’ illustration (on varicose veins) for the Wall Street Journal was completed in downtown Chicago, while we were attending our son’s college orientation. It was interesting to do my work while sitting in front a large plate glass window with a view of Lake Michigan on the 8th floor of the city’s oldest skyscraper. (Keenan is attending Columbia College in the fall, and planning on a double major with saxophone jazz studies and acting) Very excited and nervous for him, it looks like a great place to go to school.

Earlier this week, I had another group of ‘ideas’ illustrations for the Chronicle of Higher Education. This has been an ongoing series of black and white illustrations I’ve been doing this year for special election supplements for this magazine. This particular batch had to do with global warming policies of the republicans and democrats.

Also this month, I completed a cd cover design for an independent recording artist, but I’ve decided I’ll hold off on posting those illustrations until the cd is released (should be sometime in the next month). And, since we are coming up quickly on August, it is time to start thinking about our annual family vacation plans. For the past few years, we have been going on a ‘disc golf’ vacation (picking a destination and then sampling local courses), and then for the other half of the break, taking a sailboat ride somewhere on Lake Michigan. Next week, we plan on driving to Ontario for our ‘disc golf tour’ (and probably bringing work along with me, since I have another large project lined up), and we haven’t quite yet decided on a destination for the boat trip (probably in two weeks’ time).