A midweek assignment for the Journal’s sunday edition, above, and I have to credit the previous ‘army men’ job for giving me a breakthrough in how I handle ‘drawing dollars’. This is a subject matter that pops up from time to time, and I’ve been struggling with finding a satisfactory way of portraying ‘money’ for the past ten years if not more. I’ve tried the ‘collage’ technique in the past, using scans that I’ve found online, and I’ve tried drawing them from scratch, manipulating, filtering, etc etc etc, but I’ve never quite been happy with how they integrate into the finished product. I think I may have stumbled onto something with these past two projects (anyhow, it’s an improvement).
Meanwhile, I’ve also been working on another of my ‘freaks of nurture’ comics. This is the first page of a two page story about a young man’s introduction to the birds and the bees courtesy of his drunken father. (as usual, click on the image to see a larger version). The second half of the story will probably be posted sometime next week.