Since around mid-July I’ve been working on a board game project for a client in Helsinki. This was similar to a game I did earlier in the year, but retooled for the German market. Where the previous project was set in Helsinki around 1934, this one was set in Dresden around 1930. Many of the basic concepts and designs were the same, aside from some different characters, buildings, borders, details and color schemes. There will no doubt be some revisions to this before it gets to the finish line, but most of the work has been done. You can click on the images of the cover and board to see larger versions of each.
And, like the previous board game, there were the additional bits and pieces. Game tokens, starting place cards (each with a picture of a particular Dresden landmark), character cards, and a rules/story booklet with 6 illustrations of scenes from the ‘mystery’ (2 of which are pictured above).
From what I hear, the original game took 3rd place at the ‘game of the year’ competition in Finland.
There are now rumors that this may continue in other markets in Europe, so I may be doing a few more of these next spring for a couple other cities. (ADDENDUM: these rumors didn’t pan out)
Well, that was a quick summer, and now that Labor Day has come and gone, we are now well into the first week of ‘back to school season’. My son has returned to Chicago to start his sophomore year at Columbia, and meanwhile I am back hard at work trying to help pay for it. I am still working on a few ongoing large projects, but the board game project is getting near completion, and the ‘pirate’ project has yet to be given the ‘go ahead’, so I should be pretty busy for the next couple weeks at least. In the meantime, the short term projects continue to insinuate themselves into the cracks and mortar of my work week. The illustration above was one I completed earlier this week for the Chronicle of Higher Education. I also had a few Wall Street Journal assignments later in the week. (below)
This assignment for the WSJ on Thursday (on Employment and Relocation) was a rush job in which I was asked to provide two different sizes, not sure if it was because of how the international edition would end up using it, or if maybe they weren’t sure what size would be available come deadline time. The next day I was contacted with another set of ‘icon’ illustrations. This assignment was a set of four small spots on broad topics (housing, credit, taxes & investing) for an article and chart on how each was shaping up in the current economy.
Thinking that I might try and get a head start on this year’s holiday mailing. I found myself with a few moments between jobs this afternoon and worked up a rough sketch. This concept was a suggestion from my cousin Bridget, and besides using these for my own promotional xmas mailing, I’ll be printing up a nice digital print for her, by way of thanks. Haven’t quite decided what style would work best for this, but I’m leaning towards an ‘oil painting’ technique.
Things started picking up a bit starting last Thursday. A couple of ‘maybe’ jobs that are still in negotiation, the ongoing board game project has entered the ‘board’ stage and is keeping me pretty busy, and the ‘pirate’ project continues to circle in a holding pattern until after labor day. Meanwhile, this past weekend I took in a few projects for Barrons (the Uncle Sam illustration and the ‘airplane boarding’ illustration below), plus a faux ‘railroad travel poster’ cover illustration for my Hong Kong client (pictured above). September seems to be starting off a little stronger than any of the past three months. Not sure if it is clients returning from vacations, a recent postcard mailing, or just a seasonable upturn, but the work is definitely welcome after a slow summer.
Below is another Wall Street Journal project that I completed last week, something to do with in-flight wireless internet charges, and below that, another of the Journal’s ‘health care’ illustration spots.