For a Methodist publication in April, I had a couple of cartoon ‘series’ illustrations. Most of these were about the same size, but showed different stages in a particular narrative. I’ve shown one larger above to better show the details, and the rest in this series are pictured below on a smaller scale. this story involved a childhood incident involving a set of railroad tracks, and I’m sure there are some lessons to be learned about ‘cooperation’.
Another series for the same client was the sequence below, something about an unruly child in church. I obviously saved a little time on this one by cloning the background. Probably should have varied the background expressions and poses a bit, at least with the three foremost characters, but I was probably cutting corners due to the limits of the budget for this project.
I also had a cartoon assignment this month from my east coast newspaper client. This was a piece on the failing bodies of the baby boomer generation.
The above illustration was for my east coast newspaper client. This was for a special automobile supplement. The second time I would illustrate the cover for this particular annual feature (I would do two more the following couple of years). I was given a lot of freedom as far as the ‘make of car’ that would be pictured, but since I was particularly enamored of the PT Cruiser when I had seen a few of them in Florida the previous year (and would buy one the following year), I decided to use it as my model. Working against conventions, I decided to approach the ‘auto illustration’ with a softer pastel approach.
Another illustration for the same client (above), this one on diversity in the workplace. Had the idea of showing different backgrounds, heritages, alignments, etc through the types of coffee cups that people would use, rather than the usual ‘crowd of people’ that seems to be the fallback solution for illustrations of this sort. Not crazy about my overuse of purple (something that seems to plague a lot of the illustrations during this time).
The illustration to the left was for an evangelical magazine client (more purple again unfortunately), and was for one of their ‘women’s publications’. I again used pastels for the medium, but experimented with a little different ‘paper choice’ which yielded some interesting results.
A new east coast newspaper/magazine client called up out of the blue in April with two back to back assignments. The first one was an image depicting the Jewish ‘Seder’ holiday (pictured below), and another one was a black and white illustration (pictured in another post this month).
This month marked the last assignment from a national glossy mystery magazine that was rather short lived (I worked for this publication since its inception over two years ago). This was a mystery fiction magazine sized publication geared towards a mostly female readership (the parent company was ‘Family Circle’). I mostly did ‘famous character’ portraits for this client over the past few years, and my final assignment for them, was an actual story illustration with a puzzle piece theme.
I had the usual smattering of black and white scratchboard illustrations this month. The one to the left was for a national newspaper client, as were the ‘bull and bear’ bookend illustrations pictured below. I had only started working for this client about 5 months prior, and these three were some of the best of these early assignments.
The illustration to the right was one of two that I had this month for my educational publication client. I don’t quite remember the story behind either of them. Perhaps the ‘giant door’ illustration had something to do with submitting manuscripts, and the one below with the teen attached to the ‘dot com’ shackle was perhaps about online plagerism.
I also had a couple of assignments from a new east coast newspaper/magazine client this month. One is pictured in another posting this month (‘Seder’), and the other one was the illustration pictured below to the right featuring a David/Goliath matchup, somehow involving computers. I wasn’t crazy about how this one turned out. An unfortunate situation to fall into with a first couple of assignments from a new client.
I also had another fiction piece for my long time ‘mystery digest’ client. This was the second assignment from them since making the switch from traditional to digital illustration (I had been on a couple year haiatus from this client as they underwent various changes in staff and working structure). This story involved sunken treasure and witchcraft in some form or another. This smaller size was also reminiscent of most of the assignments I had been doing for this client in previous years. Later, the usual size would be increased to a full page (but fewer illustrations per issue).
I had a couple of related black and white spots this month for an east coast legal newspaper. These were involving the ‘gays in the boy scouts’ court case that was in the news at the time. One of them was an illustration for one side of the argument and the other one depicted the opposing view. (pictured below)
Below that, was another assignment for the same client this month. This one was about ‘spanking’, and I’m not all that crazy with how this one turned out. If that is supposed to be a likeness of Judge Rhenquist, then it is a mighty poor one.