As with the previous post, I am not sure which of these books is ‘volume 1’ or ‘volume 2’ or whatever, but I’m calling this one ‘volume 2’, as it is the 2nd book I’ve managed to get my hands on after two decades. There are still two additional volumes of this set, and I’m on the lookout for those, and shall post samples when I manage to get my hands on them.
I did not do the cover on this one, and the volume of interior illustrations was a little less than the previous book. In this one I just did two large illustrations for the start of stories, and a full page ‘upside down’ illustration for a poem. As with the previous book, the style relied heavily on my cartoon style, which comprised of india ink outlines, colored with Philip Martin dyes and colored pencil (on a bristol board).
Good examples of what my cartoon style used to look like in the ‘pre-digital’ days.
In February (and probably a few months prior), I took part in illustrating several children’s stories for local publisher, Christian Schools International (they were associated with Christian Home & School, a magazine I had been working for during the past year). There were four volumes, if I remember correctly, and my art graced the cover of one of them (pictured to the left). Several stories in each volume featured illustrations by me, but I was only one of many illustrators hired to fill the pages of this book. I’ve since misplaced all the artwork for these (if they were ever returned, I don’t remember), and I used to have copies of the books, but I seem to have mislaid them as well.
ADDENDUM 2018: I’ve managed to track down copies of two of the volumes that I appear in (the one pictured above and another), and am still on the hunt for the other two copies (pictured below). I’ll be posting the art from each of the books as my schedule allows, and I’ll be posting each volume under a separate blog entry.
If anyone has a lead on one of these, drop me an email and I’d be happy to purchase them from you.
Also, over January and February I gained a few new clients; Home Office Computing and Writer’s Digest.
After 6 years of doing inside story work for Cricket magazine, I finally got a cover shot for them early in ’95. An interesting layout, but I’m not crazy about the technique I used. I tried to mix acrylic paints and scratchboard as a way of showing some depth of field and lighten up the colors for a brighter cover (despite the night-time scene). I continued regularly contributing to the inside of the magazine for several years afterwards and got another chance at a cover assignment over ten years later (I think I did much better the second time).
I also had a trio of spots this month for Marriage Partnership (Christianity Today). These were a semi-regular affair, and usually involved stories related to ‘men’s lifestyles’. The top one was something to do with a survey of women who would prefer a husband who looks like Danny DeVito but who does the dishes, over a man who looks like Robert Redford. I forget the topics of the other two. These were a little different in style from either my usual scratchboard, or cartoon style, I guess you would call this my ‘fallback caricature style’, almost cartoon, but a bit more refined and controlled. (and done with a rapideograph pen as opposed to the brush and ink I used in the cartoons)