Been a very busy week/weekend so far. Over the weekend I had a rush job for the Jewish Monthly News out of Detroit. This was a portrait of the victim of an unsolved murder from back in the 70s. I seemed to think it called out for something a little different than I usually do, so I tried for some ‘Bernie Fuchs’-esque techniques using mixed medias and a heavy dose of bleach (this was a style that was heavily pushed during my art school days in the early eighties, which was already about 10 years out of date at that time). It was fun and refreshing to try something new and I was quite pleased with the end result (and still managed to go out and enjoy some of the beautiful weather we had this weekend here in Michigan). Click on the image above for a larger version.
On Monday, I finished up a book cover illustration which has been percolating around here for the past month. Unfortunately that one will have to remain under wraps for now.
On Tuesday, which is my usual day for driving over to Lansing to see my Dad, I goofed up and misunderstood a deadline for an old client. I had thought the illustration was due on Wednesday at noon, but I got a call around 3:45 from the designer who informed me that in fact the deadline was Tuesday at noon. I made a mad dash for the home office (and all the way home drawing the image in my head, and trying to figure out ways of getting it done as fast as possible), and once there, managed to get the thing done in about 45 minutes flat and shooting it out in an email by 5:30ish. (image pictured below)
On Wednesday, I now had a little more time for a River Styx fiction illustration, pictured below (and for several rough sketches planned for the afternoon for a wooden block project). A few more book project assignments also came in earlier this week (more ‘hush hush’ stuff that I won’t be able to share) that I’ll likely be occupying myself with over the remainder of the week, and I’m expecting the sketch approvals for another book to show up any day now. Meanwhile, we are in the final stages of recording our new CD, and I’ve started a new animation, so I probably shouldn’t be wasting any more time on this blog. See you next week sometime when I emerge again into the sunshine.
Finished up a cover assignment for Red Thread magazine this morning. A little different style for me, trying to work in a ‘flat color’ environment, inspired by old travel posters.
I also had an assignment for US Catholic yesterday, and again, working in a different style, black pen and ink line with a color wash applied over the top (a style I’ll likely be doing more of in the near future for a book project I’m working on, so I thought it would give me a good chance to loosen up in preparation). Below that, are the last of the ‘witch’ illustrations for this year’s almanac assignment for Llewellyn.
Been a busy week. Still working hard on the upcoming book project (about at the halfway point), but continuing to squeeze in the day to day projects in the margins. The illustration above was one I did for the Journal this morning/afternoon, and below is the rough sketch for a cover for Red Thread that I’ll be finishing up next week.
But for now, I’m going to take the rest of the weekend off, and drive to Chicago to see my son for his birthday.
Continuing to burn the candle at both ends this week. Aside from a daily quota of illustrations for an upcoming book project, I also am managing to squeeze in regular short deadline assignments. The illustration above was a cover illustration on ‘fantasy football leagues’ for Red Thread magazine. (click on the image to see a larger version)
Pictured below, is a quickie logo illustration for a friend’s tee shirt design company, for a theatrical production of ‘A Christmas Story’. Now back to work…