Been drawing some ants this afternoon. These are for a redesign for a package of wooden toy blocks for a local toy manufacturer. The designer will be picking and choosing ants from these style sheets for placement on and around the layout.
The illustration above was one that I did for Barrons this week on executive compensation, and the illustration below was a rush job for Chronicle this week on tough teaching topics.
I also had an illustration assignment for a local wooden toy block manufacturer, this would be for a set of Korean letter blocks and this image would be a sort of puzzle on the backside of the blocks.
Then, earlier in the week, I had an illustration assignment for US Catholic magazine (pictured below)
Been doing a lot of game/toy work over the past month. The samples above and below are for a series of ‘Aquatic blocks’ for a local wooden toy block manufacturer. I did a similar series of ‘Bugs’ blocks last summer, and I may be doing another series of these in the coming months on another subject. I’ll post a link to where these can be purchased once they’ve hit the market. They make great gifts for youngsters.
I’m getting very near the finish line on the overseas board game project, and will post samples soon (and there’s a lot of them).
Had a fun little assignment from one of my local clients. He knew I was a fan of the old ‘Wacky Packages’ stickers from the seventies, so he asked me to try my hand at recreating the style and parodying one of his best selling ‘wooden blocks’ sets. For those of you who are younger and may perhaps not remember these stickers, they were madly popular during the early 70s, and sold with a stick a gum similar to ‘baseball cards’, and would parody the various product packaging of the day. (example here) I used to try creating my own versions of these when I was a kid, so it was a real treat to try it again.
Also, earlier in the week, I had another assignment for Barrons, this one having to do with the sorts of ‘bailouts’ that we’ve seen recently with the banks and auto industries, and comparing them to the sorts of funding that ‘opera houses’ receive. Additionally, I had another health care spot for the ongoing column in the Wall Street Journal (pictured below)
Over the past few weeks, I’ve also been working on a series of small icons for a new client, CFO magazine (pictured below).
I’ve also been working on a series of interior illustrations for the upcoming ‘Witch’s Companion’ almanac for Llewellyn publishing. I’ve been doing the covers over the past several years, and the interior illustrations get shared among several illustrators, and I’ll be doing about 15 of them this time around. The first five are pictured below, and more will be posted in the coming weeks as I get them completed.
Hitting the ground running this year, and had a pretty busy week here in the second full week of January. The above illustration was a rush job for Barrons on Thursday, and below were a couple of back to back illustrations for the Chronicle earlier in the week.
I also had a color cover illustration for Farm Futures magazine over the weekend (pictured below). A tricky one that involved two of the more difficult things to draw combined into one image (corn fields and shopping carts).
I also found myself drawing several ‘map’ assignments over the last couple weeks. I’ve been working for Dell Magazines for twenty years now, and they were one of my very first national clients back in 1989. I’ve been providing illustrations exclusively for their title ‘Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine’ in that time, but this past week I actually got my very first assignment for one of their sister publications ‘Asimov Science Fiction’. This was a map of a planet from two sides showing particular landmarks in the story.
Also, I did a rather complex aerial view map of Washington DC for a local wooden toy manufacturer. This is still part of that ‘presidential blocks’ project that I did last summer, and this image will go on the back of the blocks and form a sort of ‘puzzle’. I had to take some liberties with the sizes and placements of several of the landmarks, mostly to keep them in a grid pattern that would work for the project, and to emphasize certain places and keep others in the background. (you can click on the small image to see a more close up view)
I also have been working on several small icons for a new magazine client, but will post them later.