Most of the black and white scratchboard work around this time was for newspapers, usually with a short deadline. Bill, Ken Starr and Monica were in the news a lot this month, and I had my share of editorial work along that line. The illustration above and the two below were all for Legal Times.
The illustration to the left was for the Chronicle of Higher Education, and dealt with choices of career paths to follow for professors, with regards to salary or tenure. The illustration below was for National Business Employment Weekly and had something to do with job interviews.
I also had the occasional odd magazine illustration. This street scene to the left was for Writer’s Digest, and the one below was for Sign of the Times magazine (Pacific Press).
The above illustration was for Newsday, a supplement cover assignment regarding phone service and carriers. I tried something a bit different with this piece, working in various mixed medias, some paints, some watercolors, some layered transparent washes. Around this time, I was trying a lot of different techniques, as there was something refreshing and exciting about working in this new medium, almost like starting my career over again from scratch, breaking out of the rut, breaking rules and trying anything and everything that occurs to me. Not too surprising that I eventually found that rut again, but I try and break out every once in a while with something totally unfamiliar. Not often enough, though.
These two pieces were for National Business Employment Weekly. Working in oils for a change of pace. Oddly enough, with most of the assignments from this client, I ended up liking the smaller spot illustration (below) I was assigned better than the larger cover illustration (above), and this one was no exception. I think it is something to do with my fear of working on a ‘larger scale’, which I’m getting (a little) better at these days.
Cobblestone’s assignments were others that I felt comfortable trying out new styles on. Probably because the rates were so low, and the deadlines not quite so short. The above map was for one of the ‘geography’ publications (Faces), and was for a special issue on the ‘Basques’ of Spain. The map below was for a ‘history’ publication on World War I, and I remember this one being a big headache, as the colors all were pre-assigned, and each color border had a special meaning, and there were numerous reference materials being used concurrently. Add to that the fact that the map had to be squeezed horizontally to fit the page size, and you have the formula for one messed up looking map. But hopefully it served its purpose. Below that were a few two page spreads for the same issue.
The ‘sadist policeman’ illustration above was one of the first digital illustrations that I did for Newsday. These assignments were usually same day affairs, with a call sometime before noon, and the finish due sometime by the end of the day. The way we worked it previously, I would send a sketch via fax, and then send the finish via fax as well. I would drive down to the copy shop to enlarge the artwork as much as possible, since I knew that the resolution on the fax machine would no doubt muddy up my artwork. What a relief to now send finals, in clear crisp resolution, as digital files via email now. It made working for this client so much easier in a single bold stroke. The ‘cubicle’ illustration below is another for the same client this month.
I had my first assignment for National Business Employment Weekly this month The story was about retirees who don’t want to go easily into retirement (my mother is one of those people). I enjoyed one of my alternate sketches for this one so much, that I finished it up a couple months later for the reprint market (see the posting in February of ’98)
This ‘militia man’ illustration was for the Chronicle of Higher Education, and was one of the earliest digital pieces that I did for this long time client. This illustration probably went with the ‘modern militia man’ that I erroneously posted in October’s scratchboard illustrations, as a bookend type illustration for a two page spread.
I also had a ‘footnotes’ illustration for the same client this month, where I first tried using scanned type as part of an illustration. The illustration below that was an early digital illustration for Legal Times. I also had a couple color assignments from them this month, that I’ll be posting in another entry.