The above large illustration was for a new east coast newspaper client this month. I don’t remember what it was about, but it seems to cover all the bases (a doctor, a student, a computer user, buildings, cars, buses, businessmen – oh, and pigeons).
I had another assignment from a national newspaper client who has been keeping me somewhat busy the past 6 months or so. I had hopes this would turn into a nice regular gig for me, but unfortunately the newspaper folded later in the year. The ‘guy in the light’ illustration was for the cover, and has been cropped down, and the ‘spotlight’ illustration (which turned out much better of the two) was a small inside spot for the contents page.
I had another series of illustrations this month for my west coast magazine client. I’ve been doing quite a few of these this past year (and the coming year), and they usually involve a larger color illustration (above) and a series of related smaller black and white spots (pictured below). The concept this month was ‘origami’ creatures made out of ‘money’, and for the cover, I used almost a ‘collage’ effect made up out of found images on the internet. An unusual experiment for me, and something I never quite went back to again. I don’t quite remember if I looked up actual ‘origami’ designs to base these creatures on, or if I just made it up out of my head (probably the latter). It might have been interesting to do this photographically, and actually learn origami and fold up dollar bills for each of these, but probably not feasable on a tight deadline.
The above illustration was a cover assignment for the Chronicle of Higher Education. This was on the topic of ‘Incivility’ and I was pretty much given free reign to come up with what I wanted on this one. A departure for me to do something less ‘structured’ and ‘concrete’, and I must say I’m still pretty happy with how this one looks, even nearly 10 years after I originally did it. Wish I could say the same for most of the rest of the work I’ve been digging up from this period.
The illustration to the right was for Footsteps (Cobblestone) and dealt with ‘black sea chanties’. Not too bad, at least I kept it simple. The illustration below, however is one that really makes me cringe. I really should have tried something a bit simpler to get across the ‘balloon’ idea, the excessive linework just gets in the way. The illustration below that, of the ‘tire pump’ was a small accompanying spot, and was much more successful than the larger cover illo. These were both for National Business Employment Weekly.
I had two assignments for Legal Times this month, both featuring President Clinton. Neither of them captured a good likeness. I’m not sure if I ever did a decent caricature of this guy the entire time he was in office, and only finally ‘nailed’ him a couple years after he left. Both of these illustrations are fairly cringe-worthy, both in the execution and the layout, not to mention how I was hampered with strange concepts from the starting gate.
The above illustration was a ‘same day’ editorial piece for Newsday. This one probably dealing with the Bosnia situation.
The illustration above and below were for National Business Employment Weekly. The illustration above was for the cover, and had the added distinction of being picked up as a sample illustration to be used in the ‘Artist’s Market’ book for the following year with a brief bio of myself and story about how the assignment came to me. When I first started out, I used this reference book quite a bit for finding clients, though I use it to a much lesser extent these days.
It’s funny sometimes to see how similar topics pop up together from two different clients in the same month. I had two ‘cannon’ illustrations this month. The larger ‘corporate wars’ illustration above was for The Recorder, and the small spot to the left was for Cobblestone, about the Civil War. I think I prefer the smaller spot. Around this time, and for many years afterwards, I was still quite intimidated by a full page illustration assignment. I tended to concentrate on details and miss out on the big picture. The scratchboard tends to look way too busy and muddy on the larger scale. In later years I learned a few tricks to help make the larger ones more successful, like increasing my line width, using large areas of black or white a bit more judiciously, and trying to see the picture as a whole instead of concentrating on individual bits and pieces in the composition.
The illustration below was another full page assignment from the Recorder.
The above illustration was for Newsday. Something to do with the home health care industry.