In the summer of ’95 I had another catholic textbook project from St Mary’s Press who I had worked with the year before. Once again they flew me out confer with the design staff in their offices in Minnesota for the day. This was the only client in my twenty years in the business who felt a need to speak to me in person, but of course, this was back in the days before email was as widely used as it is today. I wanted to do something a bit different from the assignment the year before, so I brought along a sample of a newer ‘paint’ style that I’d been playing around with. They went for it on the chapter openers, but still wanted my scratchboards for various spots sprinkled throughout the book (the drawing to the left is one of these). I didn’t think the two styles meshed all that well, but I thought the designers did a real nice job of integrating the paintings into the design of the book, using extreme detail shots of some of them, and using colored backgrounds that I created for the purpose throughout the book. I’ve chosen a sampling of the illustrations that appeared in the book to post here. Most of the originals are long since gone, so these have all been scanned from the book. Some of them I gave away to friends, others were donated to school auctions, and I don’t know what happened to the rest.
The book is still available (and amazingly still in print) at Amazon (link here)
I ran across this assignment for St Mary’s Press in my invoices, and I barely remember this project. This was a series of probably about 10 illustrations, all black and white and all scratchboard. Apparently not an important enough title to fly me out to Minnesota to discuss, as this one was handled over the phone and fax machine. I don’t remember any of the illustrations, but I found an image online of the book cover, and it is available used for very reasonable rates on Amazon (link here)
ADDENDUM: I think I’ve found one of the originals for this project while looking through the archives for something else. (a pictured below)
Also this month, I did my first assignment for the American Bar Association out of Chicago. They would continue to be a steady client to the present day. The original art for this first project hasn’t survived, unfortunately.