I haven’t updated this blog in quite some time, but this has been one of the busiest years I’ve had in a long time, and, since so much of it is book publishing projects, I haven’t had much to show as a result. I’m going to post a lot of random samples today, both from quick turnaround projects that I’ve done over the past month or so, plus some teaser images from some of the various books I’ve been working on this year. Above is one from an upcoming scratchboard color book project that I did a few months ago (one of about 50 illustrations I did for this project). Below is a quick turnaround map illustration I did for Barrons a few weeks back.
The next three images were for an upcoming issue of River Styx.
I also recently completed a series of three paper doll books, which should be hitting the market any day now. Above are a sampling of costumes for these three books (16 illustrations per book). Below are a few illustrations I recently did for Green Prints (along with the usual tiny spot illustrations and drop cap letter illustrations, which I haven’t bothered to include here).
The baseball illustration above was for the University of Virgina, and below are a few sample illustrations from two ‘Who Was’ books that I completed over the past several months (each book was approximately 80 illustrations).
The illustration of the students climbing a wall was for the Chronicle of Higher Education several weeks ago. Below is a sample from one of two coloring books I am currently finishing up (30 illustrations each, plus some additional color pieces), and below that, a sample illustration for an upcoming book project that I did yesterday afternoon.
Whew! That’s enough of an update for now. I’ll post some more when I get a chance to resurface again.
Continuing to work on the Coloring Book project this month (which I’ll share once the book is published), and in the meantime have a few other scratchboard assignments to share. Above is a short fiction illustration I did for River Styx this afternoon, and below is a spot illustration for the introduction page. Below that, another assignment for Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine.
And speaking of Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine; I’ve been doing illustrations for this publication since 1989, and I am looking for back issues from the years 1989-1998 in which my artwork has appeared. If you happen to have copies in your attic gathering dust, drop me an email, and I’d be happy to make an offer on them.
Once the book project is completed, I’ll perhaps have some extra time to work on an animation project that I’ve been thinking about, in conjunction with my band’s new CD release. It’s been several years since I’ve done any animation work, so I’ll likely have to go back and relearn everything all over again. More on this next month.
Finished up one of the book projects early last week and started work on a sample illustration for one of the upcoming book projects (pictured further down this blog entry). Besides the ‘publishing work’, I also had a series of quicker turnaround jobs to keep me busy throughout the rest of the week. The above illustration (and the accompanying spot below) were for an upcoming issue of GreenPrints. Below that is a color illustration for the Boston Globe that I finished up on Thursday.
On Friday, I finished up a story assignment for Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine (pictured above). Today I had a few rough sketches to do for some upcoming projects this week. Below are a few of the rejected sketches for a Chronicle assignment, plus a story assignment for River Styx.
Above and below are a series of three fiction assignments I did this week for River Styx. Below that, an assignment for the Wall Street Journal Sunday supplement. Next month promises to be a busy one, with three book assignments coming due at the same time, but I’m enjoying a brief window of quiet before the storm. Hopefully by this time next month, we will finally be out of this horrible frigid winter (negative 9 degrees this morning in Grand Rapids).