Well, another summer is at an end. Spent most of the past week working on sketches for another large book project, and am hoping to have the remainder of it done by next week. Devoted Friday to working on the latest Witches’ Companion book cover for Llewellyn (I’ve done these for the past 6 or 7 years, and they are always challenging and fun, while still maintaining a similar look and feel from year to year).
Also found time this week to work up a quick birth announcement stork, since my bandmate Nate had his first child on Thursday. And since the band is starting work on a Christmas EP to hopefully have completed by this Holiday season, I started work on a layout for the CD cover. (I’m hoping to actually have this one done as a photo, but this is the layout I’m hoping to achieve — the back cover will be the same grouping from the back, and the guys will be holding matching gift wrapped bourbon bottles)
For the past several weeks, since I did that last animated video for my band, and have been making preparations and test clips for my next film project, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to improve the quality of the final product as it appears on YouTube. I was convinced that there was something I was doing wrong on my end with regards to the uploading process or with the way in which I was constructing the animation. This past weekend, I have discovered Vimeo, and it has been a revelation. The quality is so much better, and much closer to what the original looks like when I am working on it here at home. So anyhow, not that it probably matters to anyone but me, here’s the past two animated JJHD music videos in HD on Vimeo (I’d recommend taking the link to the Vimeo site to see them at full size rather than playing them here on my site)
First, the most recent film “Oh So Blue”:
Oh So Blue JJHD from Tim Foley on Vimeo.
And, the forerunner, and the first one I attempted last fall, “(not a big one)” — the quality on this one was not as big an issue, since I drew it at a much smaller size to begin with:
A lot of sketch work today, for several upcoming digest magazine projects. The above will be a fiction illustration for Dell, and below are rough sketches for Green Prints and River Styx. Also working today on a revised sketch for an upcoming book cover project (which will remain under wraps for now).
Yesterday, I spent the day working on band related flyers and artwork. Among the projects, was the cover design for our upcoming CD. We are about halfway through the recording process, and the song list and cd details are still ‘up in the air’, but here’s what we’re leaning towards as far as the look of the thing (click on the images to see a larger version):
Had a rather slow week, but things have picked up for the coming week. I took advantage of the time to finish up an animated video project I had started last October. This is the second full length video I’ve done, based off of songs from our Jukejoint Handmedowns CD release ‘Everything But the Squeal’. This one was a bit more ambitious than the first film, with several ‘set pieces’, an actual ‘storyline’ of sorts, and a more complicated drawing style than the ‘quick sketch’ style I employed previously. I’ll be started on the next video soon, since we are hard at work on our follow up CD, and we should probably have a video to coincide with the release. I’ll likely need to ramp it up a further notch for the next one.
My computer has been in the repair shop the past few days, and I just got it back this afternoon. Been working on my wife’s laptop, which isn’t too much different, other than the fact that I find it hard to judge the colors and their intensity, depending on whether my eyes are lined up with the screen’s ‘sweet spot’). The above illustration was for the Chronicle this week, and I also got started on my ‘Witch’ interiors for this year (several of the black and white illustrations below). I’ve been doing these Witches’ Companion books for Llewellyn for the past several years, usually a cover illustration in the late fall, and the black and white interior spots in January (the interior spots are divvied up between several illustrators).
Also, yesterday, I finished up a piece for US Catholic in more of a ‘cartoon style’ (which was a nice change of pace from all the detailed scratchboard pieces), plus I also did some tweaking to the JJHD CD cover artwork (some of the boys felt that the hairdo on the first version was too similar to a local female rockabilly celebrity and might be confusing for some fans). Personally I still like the first hairdo better.