Work has resumed again on the Dan Rather Graphic Novel, after the first two chapters I did in June were approved. In the meantime, I am squeezing in other work in the margins of my day. The above illustration for Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine I did yesterday afternoon, and the annual Witches Companion cover that I have been doing for Llewellyn for the past twelve years is pictured below. This project was spread out over several days during the past week.
In the two or three weeks prior to the ‘green light’ on the graphic novel project, I finished up a book on Hiroshima for Penguin Young Readers (another in their ‘Who Was’ series, my 19th book for them), and I did a series of black and white interiors for another Llewellyn book that I had done some cover art for earlier this year (I may share these at a later date). Meanwhile, back to the drawing board!
Today I caught up on a few additional assignments that have come in around the margins of the ‘big project’ this past month. It felt good to be doing something different than what I’ve been doing non-stop for the past three weeks. The above assignment was a two page spread for Hudson Valley, and below is a book cover for Llewellyn. I may take the weekend off, but then will diving into another book project at the beginning of the week.
That time of year again, and I’ve been working on wiccan illustrations for Llewellyn’s annual ‘Witches Companion’ book. This year they went with 6 full page illustrations instead of the “mix n match” sizes of previous years.
Upon reaching my 30th year in business, I’ve been spending some time over the past month, looking back at my work and how it has evolved over the years. One thing I’ve noticed about the scratchboards, is that they started out rather crude and loose, and when I went digital, I started getting tighter and tighter with the style and the realism to the point where I think I started to lose some of the life and vitality that my earliest samples had. So I’ve been trying to make a concerted effort lately to ‘loosen up’ a bit with my style, and you can see a bit of that working in this set of illustrations.
In addition to the Llewellyn witches this week, I also had some work for GreenPrints (a gardening journal I’ve been doing work for since 2012). These are pictured below.
More work planned this weekend, which I hope to share early next week, and then I’ll be heading downtown for Jury Duty (hard to tell how much time this will eat up).
Between finishing up another MacMillan ‘Epic Fails’ project, and the Wheatland Music Festival over the weekend, and several smaller projects pictured here on this post, it has been a busy week (and catching a cold partway through it didn’t help matters any). Above was the finished illustration for Dover’s Evergreen Classics line of reprints, this one for ‘A Little Princess’ (I had shown a sketch version of this one last week, and they asked that the monkey be moved over to the window for the final version). Below is the finished version of the Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine illustration. This one is drastically different than the original sketch. The editors felt that a ‘hanged man’ would be too disturbing for their readers, so I picked a scene from earlier in the story. I’ve been doing illustrations for AHMM now for almost thirty years, you can see an entire checklist and links to all the illustrations here.
Below that, it is once again that time of year for the Llewellyn Witches Companion cover. I’ve been doing these now for over a decade, and it is interesting to see what concepts the editors come up with each year to keep it unique and different, and yet, basically the same.