I finished up the latest comics in a series that I’ve been working on, sporadically, since last summer. These are written with a friend, who runs an autobiographical essay blog entitled ‘Freaks of Nurture’, and the first ten or so that we did were written directly for the medium, and those had more of a traditional ‘set up and punchline’ format that I found rather stifling and ultimately predictable. I’ve taken a different tack with these past two efforts, adapting some of his previous essays instead, and have been a bit more pleased with the results. This one concerns a ‘sex ed talk’ that he recalls with his stepfather. (You can click on each image to see a larger, easier to read version)
I also, for the same site, occasionally provide simple illustrations for new essays, and the one below I did last weekend for a mother’s day story.
A midweek assignment for the Journal’s sunday edition, above, and I have to credit the previous ‘army men’ job for giving me a breakthrough in how I handle ‘drawing dollars’. This is a subject matter that pops up from time to time, and I’ve been struggling with finding a satisfactory way of portraying ‘money’ for the past ten years if not more. I’ve tried the ‘collage’ technique in the past, using scans that I’ve found online, and I’ve tried drawing them from scratch, manipulating, filtering, etc etc etc, but I’ve never quite been happy with how they integrate into the finished product. I think I may have stumbled onto something with these past two projects (anyhow, it’s an improvement).
Meanwhile, I’ve also been working on another of my ‘freaks of nurture’ comics. This is the first page of a two page story about a young man’s introduction to the birds and the bees courtesy of his drunken father. (as usual, click on the image to see a larger version). The second half of the story will probably be posted sometime next week.
Not a lot going on this past week, had a quick turnaround illustration for the Chronicle on Monday (pictured above), and I’ve been working on some sketches for upcoming projects.
I also finished up the 2 page comic for the Freaks of Nurture story, which I had started last week. I tried something a little different with this one, instead of having my writing partner try to come up with a single page scenario (with obligatory punchline at the end), I instead adapted one of his existing blog essays. I found this a bit more challenging, and in the end, I was pretty pleased with the result.
Been working on another comics story for the ‘Freaks of Nurture’ project, and just finished up page one of a two page story (more to come later in the week). Click on the image above to see a larger version.
Another entry in the ongoing series of comics that I’ve been doing for the Freaks of Nurture website.