Here we are in the third week of January already, and I haven’t posted since the ‘year in review’ near the beginning of the month. Been working on revisions to the “What Unites Us” project mostly for the first few weeks, and in the past week or so I’ve had a few new smaller projects come across my desk. The above illustration is for the Chronicle of Higher Education (one of my older clients, who I first began working for in 1991, but haven’t heard much from in the last few years). I’ve got a few book projects lined up for this month, but so far, I’m still in a holding pattern awaiting information. Meanwhile, below are a few black and white pieces for GreenPrints, and an illustration for the Common Reader that I did near the end of December. Coming up over the next few weeks, an assignment for Hudson Valley and I’ll be starting work on finished art for the Llewellyn Witches Companion interiors. Stay Tuned.
In other news, a new iPod (yes, they still make them) that I got for Christmas has forced me to upgrade my Mac system software, and once installed, has forced me to update much of my existing programs, including Painter (the application I use for most of my drawing). I wanted to wait for this inevitable upgrade until I had finished working on the “What Unites Us” project, because I’m notorious for getting bent out of shape when my drawing program changes, and I didn’t want the headaches that would naturally come with it. I’m happy to announce that, after a few glitches in installation, the new Painter 2020 seems to be operating mostly smoothly.
I’m also excited about a few other ‘art related’ activities I’ll be participating in later this week. I’ll be sitting in on a ‘Life Drawing’ event on Thursday (been many years), and on Friday I’ll be leading a ‘Comics & Creativity’ party at our house with several ‘art enthusiast’ friends. I’ll post some of the results of these exercises later in the week.
And, in music news, my band, the Jukejoint Handmedowns have started work on recording last week. We have an ambitious regimen where we plan on releasing 3 CDs this year, a collection of Originals (our 5th release), a collection of Cover Songs, and a Christmas CD.
Just passing the 2/3 mark and rapidly approaching the 3/4 mark on the “What Unites Us” graphic novel. In the meantime, I am also concurrently working on a series of ‘Saint portraits’ for a catholic publisher in Boston (a sampling shown below), plus I also finished another illustration for Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine (pictured above). At the bottom of this post is an illustration I did last week for Green Prints. More samples to come next week sometime. Keeping busy.
A few small assignments from this past week. The ‘Giant Pumpkin’ illustration is for GreenPrints and the color illustration below is for The Common Reader to accompany an article about the author and his son attending a premiere of the restored version of “The Legend of Boggy Creek”, and meeting the star outside the theater.
A couple of illustrations for GreenPrints this afternoon. Still in a holding pattern on projects that I’ve got lined up but with no green light to proceed as of yet. Been doing a lot of painting, which has been a bit of a blessing in disguise, and we’ve been informed that our backpacking permits have been approved for a summer trip down the John Muir Trail, so I can also begin stressing out about that big upcoming hole in my schedule. Been a weird year so far.
That time of year again, and I’ve been working on wiccan illustrations for Llewellyn’s annual ‘Witches Companion’ book. This year they went with 6 full page illustrations instead of the “mix n match” sizes of previous years.
Upon reaching my 30th year in business, I’ve been spending some time over the past month, looking back at my work and how it has evolved over the years. One thing I’ve noticed about the scratchboards, is that they started out rather crude and loose, and when I went digital, I started getting tighter and tighter with the style and the realism to the point where I think I started to lose some of the life and vitality that my earliest samples had. So I’ve been trying to make a concerted effort lately to ‘loosen up’ a bit with my style, and you can see a bit of that working in this set of illustrations.
In addition to the Llewellyn witches this week, I also had some work for GreenPrints (a gardening journal I’ve been doing work for since 2012). These are pictured below.
More work planned this weekend, which I hope to share early next week, and then I’ll be heading downtown for Jury Duty (hard to tell how much time this will eat up).