As October slowly creeps towards its end, heading into November, with all the chaos and confusion expected over the elections and the third spike in the virus, I have begun to dare to be hopeful despite it all. One of my regular customers this past year have begun to send a bit more work my way in recent weeks (Delaware Today, with the ‘media overload’ illustration pictured above), and a few more assignments from older clients have started picking up a bit as well. A few book projects are on the horizon, and I find myself keeping a bit more busy these days.
I’m especially excited about one upcoming assignment. After 30 years of doing interior illustrations for Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine, I was contacted about doing my first cover assignment. Below is my first rough sketch.
Finished up another assignment for Delaware Today, a portrait of Senator Chris Coons. I enjoy doing portraits probably more than an any other type of work. There’s something I find endlessly fascinating about the human face, and would be perfectly content to spend my days doing nothing else.
For the past ten years, I have done a Krampus Christmas Card design for sending out to clients and family and friends. For those who are unaware of who this character is, here’s the wikipedia entry on his background. I also post and sell these designs on my Zazzle storefront, and this design should be appearing there in the next few days.
I’ve been offering many of my archival illustrations, including many of my self promotional pieces, on various bits of Zazzle merchandise. A great place to pick up some unusual unique gifts for those “hard to shop for” people on your list. Everything is customizable in my shop, so why not drop by and browse a while. I’ll be posting some links over the next few months, during the holiday shopping season.
Here’s a few projects I’ve been working on recently. Above is a size comparison illustration of various creatures from the Harry Potter universe for a new client, Topix Media (I’m also working on a recipe book for the same client, different designer). Below is an earlier version of the illustration before I was asked to eliminate the background measurements, and change the relative sizes of a few of the beasties and eliminate the overlaps. I only include the unpublished version because I was kind of fond of how it turned out.
I also had a few spot illustrations (and the usual drop caps and dingbats) for GreenPrints this week, and they are pictured below.